WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR
"You just hold the camera and click, right?"
This question is very commonly asked, and you probably won't get a "Yes" answer from any professional photographer.
When you pay a professional photographer to photograph you and your loved ones, you are not just paying us to pick up the camera and click. You are paying for a wide array of things, including:
- reserving a spot just for you so we can’t book anyone else in that time slot, risking potential loss of business if you cancel
- our in-person consultation time
- driving to and from your desired location (we wish gas & vehicle maintenance were free)
- our shooting time
- our creative photographic talent (ie. posing, lighting, composition, etc.)
- our time spent processing (editing) the images after the shoot which could take days
- resources we use to capture and deliver the final perfect photos that you can treasure forever:
- costly professional-level camera equipment
- costly computer equipment
- expensive editing software
- professional-grade memory cards
- large hard drives for file storage
- file & web hosting for online galleries
- other products we use to deliver your photos, ie. branded presentation boxes & USBs, packaging materials, shipping & handling, etc.
- other business expenses such as equipment & liability insurance, location permits
It's never just the total amount of time spent with you, as there is so much post-production work and related costs that go unnoticed and unaccounted for to the client. This is something to take into consideration when you move forward with booking your portrait session or wedding with a professional photographer.
"Why do your prints cost more than Costco or Walmart?"
Well, simply put: Costco and Walmart are billion-dollar companies that can afford all the big fancy equipment and resources to produce mass quantities of prints - on low-quality paper - and sell them to you for cheap. It takes no effort and care on their part. They do not sweat and pour their heart and soul into capturing and editing your images and prints. We do. At Monique Dao Photography, we work with specialized professional fine art printing companies using only high-end fine art photographic material that sets us apart from them. Give us a try and see for yourself!